Thursday, January 8, 2009

Wally Pleasant Show Flyer

Title: Wally Pleasant Show Flyer
Place: The Engine Room in Fort Worth
Date: February 19th, 199?
Category: Live Music
Current Status: Submitted to the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame

Wally Pleasant is a most awesome entertainer. His songs are largely funny little ditties about life and random things normal people think about. Sometimes they are just weird (how else can you explain "Amusement Park Death Song"?). His shows are usually just him and his guitar (and some sound effects) and as much audience participation as he can muster in a coffee house or bookstore.
I first heard Wally back in High School. I'd sit in my car in the parking lot before class listening to 94.5 The Edge and sometimes they'd play a Wally song. I finally got to see him at some point when he came to town (he's from Michigan) and played at Mad Hatter's in Fort Worth. I became a hardcore fan and started going to most any show he'd play down here. I've seen him in Denton, Fort Worth, Dallas, and Waco to name a few places. Once, he recorded a show in Waco for TV and some of it aired on a PBS program called "Texas Music Cafe." I actually was part of the show twice. He had me come up and play the Fisher-Price Xylophone during one song and then again at the end of the show. I actually have a DVD of most of that show. I'd post it to youtube, except I don't have the copyright permission.
Another time, I saw Wally in Dallas and this kid opened for him. It was Geoff "'clip" Johnston and after the show I met him. We hit it off and ended up recording a few songs. Geoff did most of the work, but I had most of the recording equipment. I have those recordings (I'm not sure if Geoff does) and eventually, they'll find their way online.
Wally doesn't get down here as much anymore. He's married with children so it's more difficult to play Texas. I'm not sure when he was last here... it's been years though. Hopefully he will return.

I don't specifically remember this show at the Engine Room. I think I saw him there twice. The one I do remember was when this weirdo performance art group opened and there were freakish puppets. At any rate, Wally is always a good show. Check out his website and bug him to come play here again!

No comments:

Post a Comment