Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Irish 5 pound note

Title: Irish 5 pound note
Date: 1994
Category: Cold Hard Cash
Current Status: Trying to trade for a pint o' Guinness

For some bizarre reason, I fell in love with all things Irish back around 1993. Why? I don't know. But my room started looking like the St. Patty's Day Dollar Store. I had flags, signs, T-shirts, trading cards of the Irish National Football team, leprechaun images, Irish music CDs... I was about as touristy as one could get without actually being in Ireland. Hell, at one point, I actually subscribed to a weekly Irish-American newspaper.
One day, I was at the airport. I was waiting for my mom and sister to get back from Kentucky (I think). For some reason, their plane was coming into the same terminal as international flights. At any rate, back in those carefree days of the 1990's, you could wait at the gate for people to get off the plane and you didn't have to take off your shoes when you went through security. So, I was killing some time and I saw a currency exchange booth. Since I was obviously mentally unbalance at that time, I thought it would be fun to spend some of my hard earned American dollars to buy some Irish currency that I would never spend. The lady at the booth seemed confused, but she sold me a 5 pound note. I think it cost me nearly $10 with fees. And then I took it home and hung it on my wall.
My love of the Irish dissipated during the time I worked at the Bull & Bush pub. About 90% of the Irish I met were arseholes. Hopefully when I get a chance to actually GO to Ireland, I'll meet some of the non-arseholes that must be there.
I've added my own text to the note as a lame attempt at discouraging counterfeiters. I think the fact that the Irish use Euros now instead of pounds might also discourage counterfeiters, but I figured better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment