Thursday, January 15, 2009

94.5 The Edge: Top 94 of 1992

Title: 94.5 The Edge: Top 94 songs of 1992
Date: Jan 1993
Category: Radio stuff
Current status: Recycled

Ahhhh... memories... memories of the days when The Edge didn't suck. Back when "alternative" actually meant something. Yep, those were the days when my radio was always tuned to the same station because the mix of songs was great and the rotation was deep enough that you probably wouldn't hear the same song every hour.
Of course, then the Edge decided to move more pop as pop moved more alternative and then you ended up with this blurring of genres and now it's homogeneous, boring, whiny wannabe punk bands and guys with more hair than talent. It doesn't matter what station I have on these days, I'm almost certainly going to hear some Nickelback song... I don't know which one, they all sound the same to me.
At any rate, just look at this list... criminy.... 94 new songs for 1992. And these were the "top" new songs in 1992. Does The Edge even play 94 new songs in a year nowadays? And the bands on this list.... wow... I don't even remember some of them. Who the hell were the "Mood Swings" (#36)? Of course, I probably own in some form or another, 95% of the songs on this list.
Looking at this list, you'd never think U2 was the overhyped juggernaut that they are today. They didn't even break the top 25, although they did have 5 songs on this list (what is that, half of "Achtung Baby"?) But gee, They Might Be Giants had 2 songs on here.
MC 900 Ft Jesus?!?!? I'd forgotten he was that popular back in the day.
Meanwhile, I'm amazed that Erasure was #1. Sure they owned the alt rock/indie/college whatever stations back when all that meant something, but I'm amazed they managed to beat out Pearl Jam (who won best album and best new artist).
Sadly, no P.I.L. that year. The closest they got was Jah Wobble's "Visions of You" (#56) featuring Sinead O'Connor. Jah Wobble (nee John Wardle) was the original bassist for Public Image Limited.
"Back when the Edge was cool" has become a slogan for some of us of that era when we talk about the music of our high school years. Ray and I were addicted to the thing. We even had a game that we played where we tried to guess which band the station would play next. We did have to say that nobody could pick either The Smiths or Morrissey because one of those was bound to get played within an hour.
Huh... I just noticed that both The Pixies AND The Breeders are on here. That's funny.
Let's see... how many Edge DJs can I remember... Brian the Butler, Alex Luke, Jeff K, Wendy Naylor, the legendary George Gimarc... I miss the Tales from the Edge compilations.
Gee... I have so many happy memories of The Edge. I don't think I can get them all in one post!

3 comments:

  1. I just can't bring myself to throw out my old first EdgeFest Earth Day t-shirt...it is like two sizes too big now and I haven't worn it in years. Pearl Jam only got like 3rd billing behind Dramarama and The Origin or something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. INSIGHT FROM THE INSIDE : When we were booking Edgefest, we wanted Pearl Jam to headline - but they had never played in front of more than 1,000 people at that time, and only had 1 song on the nation's rock charts - so they didn't have the courage to heading - "People would leave before we came on...." was the claim. So we asked them to go on next-to-last, it was the same answer. So how about third from the end. That was agreeable. Sheesh. Nobody, but nobody wanted to be the closing act.. except plucky Dramarama. So they got to close the show - and did great too. BTW - John Easdale of Dramarama will be playing the Edge 20th Anniversary party at the Lakewood in Dallas on July 3rd. www.945Reunion.com See ya there! George Gimarc

    ReplyDelete
  3. To anyone who finds this page looking for old Edge stuff like I did. I figured the list needed to live on.

    Enjoy

    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0LeDuTxia9hnVWvf4nfzKe?si=xybM6evLRHqJBo5UbuzVHQ

    ReplyDelete