Monday, January 26, 2009

Ticket Stub for Tombstone

Title: Tombstone Ticket Stub
Date: January 2, 1994
Theater: AMC Hulen
Category: Ticket Stub
Current Status: In the ticket stub folder

Remember this movie? It's a western about the Earp brothers, Doc Holliday, The Clantons, and the gunfight at the OK Corral. It has an all-star cast like Kurt "Snake" Russell, Val "Batman" Kilmer, Sam "I'm in every cowboy movie ever made" Elliot, and Bill "Punk Leader in The Terminator" Paxton. What a cast! And then there's the other guys like Dana Delaney, that Brandon guy from 90210, the dumb mechanic dude from "Wings", Powers Boothe, and some guy named Charlton Heston.

Why the hell was Charlton Heston in this movie? Was it just because there were guns everywhere?

At any rate, there are a bunch of other people you'd recognize too, like Billy Zane, Frank Stallone, John Corbett, Terry O'Quinn, and a guy named Wyatt Earp who is apparently an actual distant relative of the original Wyatt Earp. It's one of those movies where you constantly go, "Hey! It's that guy!"

Apparently, this movie is relatively accurate as far as I can tell, although much of the facts about the actual gunfight are still debated. At any rate, despite Kurt Russell, it's a pretty good flick. It's managed to add a ridiculous catchphrase into pop culture... the fabulous "I'm your Huckleberry." In fact, I heard a couple of guys talking about it the other day. One guy was talking about "Young Guns II" and then said "I'm your Huckleberry" at which point the other guy said "No, that's Tombstone" and the first guy says, "Oh yeah... Young Guns was 'I'll make ya famous'."
Riveting wasn't it. It was for me too. I was in Arkansas and you take whatever entertainment you can get.

In a side note, Ray and I saw this at the AMC Hulen (which is now Starplex or something... they have $1 hotdogs). The AMC Hulen was great because it was a fairly nice theater that wasn't packed so you could watch a movie in relative comfort and peace.
My favorite memory of the AMC Hulen was this time that Ray and I saw Van Cliburn there. He was seeing something, not the same movie we were, and I don't remember either movie. What I do remember was that we didn't want to bother him since he was obviously just out to catch a flick in peace and that he was fascinated by the giant pickles they sold at the concession stand. It was pretty clear VC didn't get out amongst the plebes all that often.

No comments:

Post a Comment