Sunday, December 7, 2008

UNT Memorandum of Violation

Title: UNT Memorandum: Violation of "Quiet Hours"
Date: September 7, 1993, 10:54pm
Category: School Document
Current Status: Looking for a birdcage to line

I went to three different universities in four years while achieving my Bachelor's degree. I finished the last three at TCU and freshman year was split between the University of North Texas (Fall '93) and the University of Texas - Arlington (Spring '94). UNT was the only school where I lived in the dorm. Seeing as how my mom's house (the same house I had been in since 1979) was in Arlington, UTA and TCU were short drives.

It was pretty exciting when I packed up a number of my belongings and moved one whole hour away from home to a dorm room in UNT's West Hall. I would be rooming with my best friend David Irvin. We had previously roomed together at my mom's house during the Spring semester of 11th grade and it ended horribly. I have no idea why we thought that living together again would be a good idea because it wasn't. I love the guy like a brother, but we should never live in the same place.

West Hall had what was known as "Quiet Hours" which were intended to give students a less noisy environment from about 10 pm until sometime in the morning so that they would be better able to sleep or study or something. I have no idea what we did to violate Quiet Hours, but we did something and we got this excitingly well typed warning disguised as a memorandum. Why my name is the only one on it, I have no idea. Dave was there too.

It seems like if you were written up three times, something happened. But I don't remember what. It was pretty obvious though that the concept of Quiet Hours was pretty stupid in an all male dorm full of numerous freshman. It wasn't Animal House or anything, but there was plenty of mischief.

I really don't remember much about living in the dorm, other than lot's of time watching "Animaniacs" and "The Late Show with David Letterman" as well as way too much time playing Tecmo Super Bowl on the Nintendo (can't stop Bo Jackson!). That and the leftover soggy tacos Dave would bring home from the Taco Bell where he worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment