Monday, December 1, 2008

Pierre Cardin Wallet ID Card

Title: Pierre Cardin Wallet ID Card
Date: Late 80's or Early 90's
Category: Additional Info
Current Status: Recycled

I liked this wallet. I think it may have been my first non-kiddie, non-velcro leather wallet. Normally, this ID card would probably have been tossed long ago, but apparently, I decided to be a smart ass and fill out a section of the ID card as a teenage boy probably would.
It does seem obvious that if there was an emergency, that most people would rather you call the appropriate medical and/or law enforcement professionals to handle the problem. Obviously, that is a given and the purpose of this card is to give those professionals the ability to find somebody who can come get your sorry butt once the crisis has passed. Even though I knew this, it didn't stop from from being oh so clever and writing down "Doctor, Hospital, Mortuary, funeral home" under the "In Case of Accident Please Notify" section. To be extra helpful, I included "911" as the telephone number to use.
My pal Neil "Skippy" Kennedy, another of the outcast nerd caste that I was categorized with, felt the need to add "custodial engineer, McDonald's, carwash" after my entries. I'm unsure as to what he was going for with "McDonald's" and "carwash", but I do know why "custodial engineer" is included.
WARNING - TANGET STORY INVOLVING A HIGH SCHOOL MEMORY AHEAD!
In 10th grade, since we were unpopular, middle class students with no access to wheels, Neil and I, along with Josh "Joshwa" Boling and Shawn "Reinhold" Eiland, ate in the school cafeteria. We passed the time with many absurd games, such as "JEPARDEE", poetry readings, and general nerd weirdness. It was very much like our own little cable access television show, complete with regular guests who would interject themselves into our lunchtime activities.
There were two primary visitors: Half-Moon and Opie.
Half-Moon was, in reality, Mr. Steve McBride, an English teacher who also taught creative writing. I had him for creative writing senior year and he was awesome. Excellent teacher, as was his wife, who I had senior year as well for AP English (they told me I was often the subject of dinnertime conversation). But in 10th grade, he was just that guy with a lot of facial hair (i.e. a werewolf in mid-transformation) who monitored 4th period lunch. I'm sure Mr. McB will be mentioned in this blog more than once.
Opie, on the other hand, was a janitor. But don't call him a janitor because he would inform you that he was, in fact, a "Custodial Engineer." Opie (not his real name) took great pride in his job. And while I can respect someone who takes pride in their work, to a 15 year old boy, a janitor is not a glamorous position at all. What really made him such a memorable character was that he would sometimes lecture us on life and how to live it. I vividly remember one time when Opie was giving me a good talking to about getting my life in order. Reinhold, who had his back to Opie, kept making these ridiculous faces that only I could see which made me start snickering. Opie made sure to let me know that I shouldn't be laughing at his advice.
At any rate, "custodial engineer" became a running gag. Now you know.

If anybody is interested, here's the other side of that ID card. It's not all that informative really, but it was nice to know that I had a quality item with "Hand Turned Edges."

Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment