Wednesday, December 31, 2008

CYF Junior Camp Photo

Title: Christian Youth Foundation, Trinity Brazos Jr. Camp Photo
Date: Not sure, probably either 1983 or 1984
Category: Photograph
Current status: With the other photos

The church that I grew up in, University Christian in Fort Worth, is part of the Disciples of Christ denomination. The denomination had this youth group, called the Christian Youth Foundation (CYF). Every year, all the DoC youth groups in the Trinity Brazos area would send their children to this little camp in the middle of nowhere (somewhat near Athens, TX) where they would meet and interact with other kids, learn about their faith, sing horrible songs, and try not to get caught with their elbows on the tables at mealtimes. And of course, there was the ongoing struggle of human vs every flying biting bug in existence. I'm guessing the bugs also sent their children to camp at the same time so that they could learn how best to annoy humans.

I actually got to go to Junior Camp (there was also a regular camp for older kids) early because my mom was a camp counselor. So, I was the youngest kid at camp for a couple of years. Then when I was old enough to actually go, I didn't want to.

It was kind of fun, if you didn't mind the bugs... and the humidity... and the heat... and the public showers... and the food. I always got pretty bored by the religion that was involved, like the discussions about Jesus and the camp songs that sometimes didn't make a lot of sense, but what do expect at CHURCH camp. I did like taking the canoes out on the lake (watch out for rumored aligators and water moccasins!), hiking through the woods, and especially canteen and pool time. At the canteen, I would get Astro Pops. Astro Pops were awesome because they were colorful, multiple fruit flavored, lasted a long time, and they were cheap. Best bargain out there.

Mealtime was always an adventure. You had to do stupid tricks to get your mail, like sing or act out some horrible sketch in front of everybody. If they caught you with your elbows on the table, everybody would start singing to you and then you'd have to parade around the mess hall and get poked with forks or something like that. I don't remember Jesus talking about humiliating children for no good reason, but I didn't pay attention a lot of the time.

I can't identify anybody in this picture. My wife actually had to locate me... I'm at the top, in the center, just in front of the tall older woman whose head is to the left of the window A/C unit. My mom is the adult wearing sunglasses in the group at the top left. The only other person I know is Larry Crocker (seated, far left, second row). He was the director.

I don't remember much about camp, other than I was unhappy about as often as I was happy. There wasn't any TV and you were always expected to get up early. It might have helped if somebody had told me that the spray bottle of "Off" was insect repellant and it was designed to keep bugs away and was not going to help make the bug bites I already had stop itching. I was doing it wrong the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment