Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Construction Paper Owl

Title: Owl
Medium: Construction paper and Elmer's Glue
Date: Unknown
Category: Art
Current Status: Recycled

Okay... it's an owl... made out of construction paper. I have no idea when this was made or why. Usually I can get an idea of when I collected something by the other stuff in the same box. This one, I really don't know. The other things I found in this box seem to be from a junior high era, but I can't imagine why I would make this ridiculous looking owl in junior high.
For that matter, I'm not entirely sure I made it. There is no name or identifying marks anywhere... it could be my sister's work. Although I can't imagine I would save her artwork. Besides, I can see some telltale signs of this being my work... the poorly scissored curves on the feet and eyes, the badly cut jags at the end of the small malformed wings, and the presence of the original pencil guidelines that I could never get the scissors to follow. I have to deduce I made this goofy bird.

To this day, when I'm at the store and I see packages of construction paper, I feel a little spark of excitement. Construction paper, besides having a cool name, always meant that we were going to do something other than read textbooks. Always a plus. What sort of freakish work of art would we make from these colorful sheets of paper that had that weird feel, so unlike notebook paper? If construction paper was involved, that meant there must be scissors, but would we get the grown-up kind with the pointy tips or the kiddie ones with the curved, blunt ends? And did they have those cool-left handed ones with the green rubber around the finger holes? What the heck was that actually supposed to do anyway?
And of course, no construction paper event would be complete without your bottle of Elmer's Glue. Just keep an eye on those weird kids that would eat that stuff (I'm talking about YOU, David).
Sometimes, you'd also get glitter. Glitter was the custodial staff's least liked, I think. That stuff ended up everywhere. And parents everywhere didn't have to ask what their kids did in school that day because it would be sparkling all over their faces... and clothing... and hair...

And remember... black construction paper meant you could effectively use that almost otherwise useless white crayon.

No comments:

Post a Comment