Monday, July 12, 2010

The most awesome video game blueprint ever


Title: Map of Screen I: M.I.A.
Date: 1989 or 1990
Category: Bad Ideas come from wasting time
Current Status: Sending it to EA

When I was a little kid and I became aware of side scrolling video games, I would draw my own video game ideas that usually involved terribly rendered traps that weren't even remotely drawn to scale. This continued for some time, even into 9th grade.

See, in 9th grade, I was in Honors Biology taught by Dr. June James, III. I won't go into detail on this here, because I have other material directly related to Dr. James and I don't want to use it all up on an item that is only kind of related to his class.

At any rate, I was bored in that class. Not because I found it easy, but because at the time, science just bored me. Pretty much school in general bored me, which is why I produced so much absolute nonsense during high school when I should have been taking notes on lectures (just wait... I haven't really gotten to those boxes yet). In Dr. James class, I set next to Neil "Skippy" Kennedy who had the unfortunate position of being one of the 2 or 3 people lower on the social class totem pole than yours truly. When the other nerds pick on you, that's pretty bad.

But, I was friends with Neil and for awhile, I genuinely liked the guy, even if his personality quirks sometimes made me want to punch him. So, we spent a lot of time drawing cartoons when we should have been paying attention to Biology. At one point, we had a "See who can write the smallest while taking notes" contest where we actually did take notes, but that was more of an excuse to see who could write the smallest. For the record, I won... I manged to write 7 coherent individual lines of text in between two college ruled lines of notebook paper.

Sometimes, when drawing goofy pictures and dumb Far Side wannabe cartoons wasn't enough, we'd create some craptastic thing like this. Apparently, we created some game called "M.I.A" and started creating levels for it. We couldn't fit each level on one sheet so we'd have to continue it on another sheet. I couldn't find Screen II, but I did find Screen III. If I find the rest of it, maybe I'll post the whole thing (if anybody even cares).

There's an obvious influence of both "Pitfall" and "Super Contra" to this. Apparently, it starts with the player's character escaping from his cell through an unexplained hole in the wall. Then, as if his captors KNEW he would escape at this very spot, he must choose between three tunnel things to try and make his escape. If his captors were smart enough to know where he would escape and then create death traps to prevent him from escaping, then A) why weren't they smart enough to build a cell he couldn't escape from and B) why didn't they just kill him to begin with instead of giving him the chance to escape. Villains... WTF?

So, 3 choices... 2 of them lead to death, one of them leads to possible freedom. Let's look at the certain death paths first.

Path #1: climb a wall, go into a room, and then... either fall through a trap door where you are electrocuted by an "electric beam" before you are impaled on some ludicrous looking spikes OR continue on where you must swing across a snake pit on a rope (why is there a rope here?), jump to the ledge, climb down another rope, and then get trapped in a small room that fills up with water and you die.

Path #3: slide down an incline into another room where you find a key that must have been left there by the weird looking dragon from the Atari 2600 Adventure game which will open a LOCKED SECRET DOOR IN THE SAME ROOM (why is it even locked?). Of course, this moment of pride is short lived as the secret door triggers an improbable looking gun... or possibly a giant cigarette... that shoots you when you open the door... or gives you lung cancer. I have no idea.

No, Path #2 is the "correct" choice. Here, you run down a long hallway into a circular room that has deadly "lasers" shooting everywhere. I assume they move around and give the player an opportunity to get past them, because otherwise, this is the stupidest game since the infamous "ET the Extra-Terrestrial" (again on the Atari 2600). Once past the lasers, you fall through a trap door and must grab the horizontal rope or else you will die on some other ludicrous looking spikes. If you manage to go the length of the rope and avoid the LLS, you get to jump down. Here you must crawl to avoid the physics defying "vacuum" so that you can climb up the ladder and go through the door to the next screen. If you happen to get sucked up by the vacuum, you can save yourself from some LLS by grabbing onto the "rope" that may actually be a giant earthworm. Use the rope/worm to get to another door to the next screen.

And that's all I've got at the moment. If I find screen two, I'll be sure to post it so we can find out what sort of stupid traps the player must avoid next.

No comments:

Post a Comment